Author Topic: Show: Mad Men  (Read 10696 times)

Offline Hidden

• Charter Member
Show: Mad Men
« on: May 03, 2017, 01:13:40 AM »
Some people were talking about Mad Men recently. Though it came out years ago. I decided to give it a spin to see what all the hype was about. The show centers around Ad executives in the 1960's. The first few episodes in season 1 really glamorize affairs and I found it disturbing to watch. But I kept watching as I was told that it gets "better" and the characters develop. This is true, there is character development, and now I have completed season 1.
Anyway, I was curioius if anyone has watched it and what their thoughts are on it. I identify with several of the characters in the show. It triggered quite a bit, but I am glad I watched it. Not sure if I will carry on with it or not.

Offline Hidden

• Administrator
  • Slowly, slowly ... with the velocity of love.
Re: Show: Mad Men
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 11:54:19 AM »
I can't say I've ever watched this particular show/series (the subject matter just didn't appeal to me), but I am often surprised at how often affairs come up as a topic in television shows, movies, and books. 

Maybe the writers "write in" affairs for added drama?   :drama:  In other words, without the affair(s) being part of the story line in Mad Men, would they have kept so many viewers?  The same could be said with many other shows, IMO, whereas movies and books consciously make that decision in preliminary stages of writing.

I can understand where one might be "triggered" if not expecting that kind of storyline.  We're you aware of the affair(s) as part of the show when you'd decided to watch it?  (What kind of reviews led you to consider watching the show?)
Me = Rappy (single OW)
MM = Dole   (RIP/August 2019)
W = Sheriff

Supporting cast:
Long distance BFF & her DH = Emily & Bob Hartley
Emily's sister = Ellen Borden

RIP: BFFs Sarcastic Bitch (Fall 2012) and Bea (Fall 2016)

"If love was a choice, who would ever choose such exquisite pain?" -- Tuptim in Anna and the King (Margaret Landon, author)

Forum Rules | What is TMI?

Offline Hidden

• Charter Member
Re: Show: Mad Men
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 12:25:41 AM »
I was not aware of the affairs. I heard it was about advertising, business and tobacco. One nice thing I noticed thus far is the women get stronger as time goes on. One guy shows up with an offer to fly to Paris for the weekend and she says no, she has other plans.