Author Topic: Not just the Religiously Devout will "stand by their man" inlight of infidelity  (Read 18044 times)

Offline Hidden

• Senior Council
  • Live life creatively without fear
"While I realize devout Christian, Anna Duggar, will not think of divorcing her cheating husband, it always surprises me how often a much less devout wife/husband will do the same even when serious breaches are staring them in the face!

This article doesn't address that a more pressing issue in her mind may be the break-up of her family and extended family.  The fear of living outside of that "world" may be unimaginable to her, not unlike wives who will fight to keep a cheating husband.
"

Here is part of an article from the Iquisitor Aug 21, 2015

While many people are urging Anna Duggar to divorce her husband, the source said she has no plans to leave him.

“Anna will not leave him,” the source told People magazine. “As with her in-laws, she is turning more to her faith than ever. She and Josh are probably praying around the clock right now, I would assume.”

The reveal came just weeks after news that Josh Duggar had been accused of molesting young girls when he was a teen. At the time many fans were rallying around Anna Duggar, calling on her to leave Josh, but she stood by her man.

Anna wrote to her in a Facebook message, saying she had learned about the incidents long ago and worked through it with Josh.

“And when you, our sweet fans, first met me when Josh asked me to marry him… I was able to say, “Yes” knowing who Josh really is – someone who had gone down a wrong path and had humbled himself before God and those whom he had offended. Someone who had received the help needed to change the direction of his life and do what is right. I want to say thank you to those who took time over a decade ago to help Josh in a time of crisis. Your investment changed his life from going down the wrong path to doing what is right.”

Anna appears to be standing behind Josh again. The Duggar family source told People that “on some level” Anna will likely try to “absorb some of the blame” for her husband’s decision to cheat.

“Maybe not publicly, ever, but privately, there will be some suggestion of whether or not she should have been more aware of the pressures Josh was under, of the issues he was facing, and how she could have better counseled him or helped him,” the source said.

“She is fully and permanently committed to her marriage and her children. And she’ll have the support of Jim Bob and Michelle and everyone else in their circle in terms of staying with him and making this work,” the source added. “Divorce is not even something that will be discussed.”

But the scandal will likely hurt the Duggar family far beyond Josh and Anna’s relationship, the source noted. His parents, 19 Kids and Counting leaders Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar, are reportedly looking at the scandal as a test of their faith, one they’re “determined not to fail.”

Inquisitor  August 21, 2015
Captain   MM 10+ yrs  Sally W
Sissy DD college age Little BF...her 1st serious BF Prof adult DS Sheila his GF
Director  xH  Olga  wife, Jeremy Olga's adult DS
Saint BFFM local,Dionne older FFDS,Ellen BFFM 
Tomkat male RIP,Sheba semi-feral female Adopted cats
SG  Slooow, single guy dated for a year...sort of,now NC

Forum Rules |What is TMI | Abbreviations

Offline Hidden

• Administrator
  • Slowly, slowly ... with the velocity of love.
I think this is the example of the religiously devout 'standing by their man' (and what I would expect from the religiously devout to some extent) ... from the title of this post, I was expecting examples of non-religious folks' reasons/rationale for staying.   

In a different-strokes-for-different-folks kind of way, I find the Duggar clan (and this line of thinking) delusional.  To a very small degree, if in her shoes, I could understand forgiving him (once), but for her to 'absorb some of the blame' for his behavior ...?  :no:  Delusional, IMO. 

Frankly, I think the whole clan's 15 minutes of fame has long expired. 

Me = Rappy (single OW)
MM = Dole   (RIP/August 2019)
W = Sheriff

Supporting cast:
Long distance BFF & her DH = Emily & Bob Hartley
Emily's sister = Ellen Borden

RIP: BFFs Sarcastic Bitch (Fall 2012) and Bea (Fall 2016)

"If love was a choice, who would ever choose such exquisite pain?" -- Tuptim in Anna and the King (Margaret Landon, author)

Forum Rules | What is TMI?

Offline Hidden

• Senior Council
  • Live life creatively without fear
Yeah, my title was misleading, BR!!   

This article did remind me of people who remain in the partnership WITHOUT the excuse of being religiously devout when faced with their partner's infidelity!  I do think we are familiar with those scenarios.

Captain   MM 10+ yrs  Sally W
Sissy DD college age Little BF...her 1st serious BF Prof adult DS Sheila his GF
Director  xH  Olga  wife, Jeremy Olga's adult DS
Saint BFFM local,Dionne older FFDS,Ellen BFFM 
Tomkat male RIP,Sheba semi-feral female Adopted cats
SG  Slooow, single guy dated for a year...sort of,now NC

Forum Rules |What is TMI | Abbreviations

Offline Hidden

• Charter Member
Well, for that version of religiously devout taking on the blame is pretty much the standard and expected behavior.  It falls right in line with all of the other things girls/women have to do to keep from "tempting" men.  In other words, the women are always at fault anyhow :/

Offline Hidden

• Charter Member
  • Let life be imperfect.
I think this guy's problems started from the severe sexual oppression that was forced upon him (and the other children) from day one.

I wasn't a fan of their show but I did catch it a few times and thought how horrible it was that even when the kids were "betrothed" they weren't even allowed to hold hands or kiss.  WTF is that??

One of the girls was so freaked out by the fact that her "first kiss" was going to be on her wedding day that she opted not to do it in front of anyone, but rather wait till her and her husband were alone.

What kind of deviant behavior lurks in the mind of a teenage boy if they are taught that sexuality is wrong except for the confines of marriage from day one??

I feel sorry for Anna Duggar, the damage done to her husband (and probably all of his siblings) is likely unrepairable.
You are at once both the quiet & the confusion of my heart.

"There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you" ~ Maya Angelou

MM - TOM
H - yeTi
W - 3T

Offline Hidden

• Charter Member
Anna's parents have done her NO favors.  :swear:

She is in an absolutely terrible position. She has a HS education (at best), no work experience, neither her family would ever support her leaving Josh, and she's got four children under the age of six.

I am so grateful that my parents raised me to be independent and emphasized the importance of education, and if I had a daughter I would absolutely do the same.
Love = xMM + now my Husband!
Angel = our furbaby
Ivy = Love's xW

Offline Hidden

• Charter Member
Love = xMM + now my Husband!
Angel = our furbaby
Ivy = Love's xW