Author Topic: The definitive affair support forum  (Read 13645 times)

Offline Hidden

• Administrator
  • Slowly, slowly ... with the velocity of love.
The definitive affair support forum
« on: August 28, 2016, 12:56:01 PM »
Admittedly, I hadn't realized I'd had a need for an "affair support forum" until a few years ago.  I'd already had an ongoing relationship with my AP (affair partner) for a little over a decade before even thinking of searching the internet for "betrayed spouse" support forums.  It seemed perfectly reasonable to me for there to be online forums for the "betrayed spouse" (BS) to gain support from others who have similar circumstances and experiences to share.  At the time, I felt as though I was on the verge of yet another D-day (Discovery Day) ... and for some reason, I felt my MM's BS (oh, the acronyms* in these forums are cumbersome! Translation: my MM's BS = my married man's wife) might be participating in a BS support forum, and I spent way too much time lurking a few of the BS/infidelity forums thinking I would be able to identify her.  (Commentary: in retrospect, I'm doubtful she ever has participated in such a forum.  I probably wasted a lot of time, but also learned a bit too much about BS behavior following a D-day.)

Having lurked the BS forums, it dawned on me to search for an affair support forum to get support for my role in our affair ... and there seemed to be very few to choose from:  I found myself on a number of different websites, blogs, and forums trying to find a place where I believe I'd feel comfortable.  Some of the search results I'd followed were outdated and I found the forums long since dead, or in the process of dying.  At least one other forum I'd stumbled across and lurked around for awhile was most definitely not for the "other woman" (or "other man") in an affair at all, but instead was support for the betrayed spouse.

There was another forum that showed up in the results that I was somewhat appalled by (hint: The B52's once sang about "a little old place where we can get together") -- OW and OM were getting next to no support I could see, and the betrayed spouse(s) were able to post in the OtherMan/OtherWoman section of the forum.  I'm not sure whether they believed themselves to be delivering "tough love", but from my perspective it went well beyond being anything helpful.  I've lurked there again within the past few months, and while the support has improved marginally, it still doesn't seem like a welcoming or supportive forum for the participants in an affair.

When I'd discovered the predecessor to ClubTOW -- T.O.W. forum -- I was admittedly a little put off at first.  I'd registered to the site, but it was several days before my registration was approved.  (New members to ClubTOW are typically reviewed for approval in less than 24 hours currently; spammers are rejected routinely.) Once approved and able to sign into T.O.W. forum, I found that I had to give a brief introduction before gaining access to the rest of the forum.  It seemed like a lot of hoops to jump through just to gain support when I felt that I was about to experience (yet another) D-day, but in retrospect it makes sense -- I was a new unknown member; it's not as though other members could vouch for me as a legitimate OW from the start.  Just as the seemingly stern warnings and rules about "TMI" are there to protect not only the forum but each and every one of its members.

We carry on those traditions to this day to keep our members supported and protected.

When an affair is going incredibly well, it's hard not to have anyone you can share this relationship with.  Very few of us have real-life friends we can discuss such matters with.  My own affair partner will sometimes quote Ben Franklin "Three may keep a Secret, if two of them are dead."  ClubTOW offers a safe refuge to discuss what goes on with your own affair as well as to lend support to other OW (married/single other woman) or MM (married man).  Maybe you need support while NC/LC (no contact/low contact) with your affair partner.  People in love often feel a need to have their relationship publicly recognized, and that is often not a possibility with extramarital affairs.  And when an affair blows up in a D-day style, or simply needs to come to an end, it's not often something that can be shared with friends or family.  The "scarlet letter" mentality can persist even once the affair is over. 

There are also those who successfully transition to a relationship outside of the affair bubble, which can present other challenges not necessarily anticipated during the affair. 

If you've found this post, it was by design: much of ClubTOW forum is behind closed doors for privacy and protection of our members.  Various webcrawlers (Google, Bing Yahoo, etc.) do not have access to the heart of ClubTOW.  While we would love to be found by those who need affair support, we don't want to be found too easily either.   :whew:

*I found the acronyms a little difficult to get used to initially ... they get easier with time, but I rather enjoy the 'cast of characters' many of our members utilize in the forum.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 10:39:17 AM by Administrator »
Me = Rappy (single OW)
MM = Dole   (RIP/August 2019)
W = Sheriff

Supporting cast:
Long distance BFF & her DH = Emily & Bob Hartley
Emily's sister = Ellen Borden

RIP: BFFs Sarcastic Bitch (Fall 2012) and Bea (Fall 2016)

"If love was a choice, who would ever choose such exquisite pain?" -- Tuptim in Anna and the King (Margaret Landon, author)

Forum Rules | What is TMI?

Offline Hidden

• Administrator
Re: The definitive affair support forum
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 12:25:48 PM »
Very few of us have real-life friends we can discuss such matters with.
I know this feeling well.  I've just lost a real-life friend I'd been able to share a lot of details of my affair with -- she'd been (surprisingly) supportive and had been quite discreet with what is my secret.  Having access to this forum is helpful for those times I feel a need for a "friend" with a listening ear. 

Offline Hidden

• Senior Council
  • Live life creatively without fear
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 06:07:57 PM »

Having access to this forum is helpful for those times I feel a need for a "friend" with a listening ear.

I'm right there with you!   I don't share my relationship with anyone besides Dionne & Saint.  They never knew the full extent of the PA either.  Can't go there with them. 

« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 10:39:29 AM by Administrator »
Captain   MM 10+ yrs  Sally W
Sissy DD college age Little BF...her 1st serious BF Prof adult DS Sheila his GF
Director  xH  Olga  wife, Jeremy Olga's adult DS
Saint BFFM local,Dionne older FFDS,Ellen BFFM 
Tomkat male RIP,Sheba semi-feral female Adopted cats
SG  Slooow, single guy dated for a year...sort of,now NC

Forum Rules |What is TMI | Abbreviations

Offline Hidden

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 11:30:05 AM »
What other qualities/support are desired in a forum for affair partners? 
Me = Rappy (single OW)
W = Sheriff

Supporting cast:

"If love was a choice, who would ever choose such exquisite pain?" -- Tuptim in Anna and the King (Margaret Landon, author)

Hope

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 10:04:20 PM »
One of the things I liked about the other forum (Glory B) is there were categories of support depending on what you needed. For instance, I wanted help to get out of the affair, and even though everyone "tried" to be encouraging it was hard for me to buy. I needed someone who "believed" in getting out. Someone who had been there.

That forum appeared larger though.

I needed tough love and in no way did I need someone to tell me it was okay. It's was like going to a drunk drinking buddy to help me quit drinking.

I can truly support someone who wants out, I can't help someone who wants to stay. It's not that I judge it, truly.  There is something super powerful about experience. It's like sales, I can sell something a lot better if I believe in it.

I hope I don't sound like an asshole and that is not my intent.

Offline Hidden

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 10:45:09 PM »
Affairs are definitely not "one size fits all" are they?   :sneaking:

I do think people seek out and participate in forums when they have needs specific to themselves: much like I did (seeking support when I felt as though I was about to endure another D-day), or like you did (seeking support to get out of your affair).  When all is going well, and/or "support" isn't required, it's human nature not to check in as much. 

I needed tough love and in no way did I need someone to tell me it was okay. It's was like going to a drunk drinking buddy to help me quit drinking.
Good analogy!  :snap:  To me, tough love is a somewhat difficult concept, but mostly because I tend to prop up all my defenses if/when someone tries giving tough love in my direction.  But, I will tell someone that 'failing' is OK ... but in that way that a person will learn something from their failure (much like Bill Murray's character in "Groundhog Day"); that said, not everyone learns from their failings.   :sigh:

I think your voice is valued here especially as someone who has successfully managed to extricate yourself from your affair.
Me = Rappy (single OW)
W = Sheriff

Supporting cast: